Introduction to Strawbale Building
2024 CANELO WORKSHOP
"I believe that a revolution can begin from this one strand of straw ... I have come to realize the weight and power of this straw. For me, this revolution is very real."
— Masanobu Fukuoka
Introduction to Strawbale Building Workshop
For examples see our many strawbale buildings at Canelo.
We will dismantle and re-build a small strawbale demonstration structure onsite at Canelo.
This workshop will cover the following:
- Stacking Bale walls
- Creating partial bales
- Tying corner bales and exterior pins
- Compressing bales with threaded rods and top plate
- Demo of plastering bales with a high-fibered sculptural clay plaster
- Dates: This is a 2-day course that begins with an introductions/orientation the evening before at 6pm on April 5. Class will start at 8.30am, April 6 and ends 5pm, April 7. Participants are welcome to stay the evening of the 7th also.
- Meals: Home-cooked vegetarian lunches will be provided both days and are included in workshop price. Participants are responsible for preparing their own Breakfast and Dinners. We have a small outdoor kitchen, but participants are encouraged to bring their own camping/cooking supplies.
- Accommodations: Camping and bunkroom beds are available and included in the worshop. We have a few private rooms available for an extra cost. Our guesthouse also has a fully-equipped kitchen
- Deposit – Full payment of this workshop is required to register ($350)
Read more as you register on our General Workshop Info.
- Bale Basics: Where to locate bales, How to modify bales, How to Measure bales.
- Compression Test: Figure out how much bales will compress to get measurements for Window and Door bucks as well as for bamboo pinning.
- Stack Bale walls and learn corner tying knot.
- Cut Bamboo pins and tie them onto surface of bale walls.
- Continue stacking bales
- Discuss top plate and place on top of bale walls.
- Compression using threaded rods.
- Clay base coat demo