Natural Plasters & Earthen Floors
2024 Canelo Workshop
and Earthen Floors
"Space is the breath of art"
— Frank Lloyd Wright
Natural Plasters with Clay & Lime Finishes
A 5-day workshop teaching Natural Plasters and Finishes including polished clay, water-resistant Tadelakt and Earthen Floors.
It will cover the essentials of natural and earthen plasters and dive deeper into the more specific finishes for your home. Each participant will have their own practice panel to learn these methods with ease and repetition.
This workshop will cover a large range of natural wall and floor finishes including:
- Simple clay & lime basecoats
- Various smoothed and polished clay finishes
- Tadelakt – a water-resistant lime plaster from Morrocco
- Lime fresco
- Earthen floors practice, from floor base to finish
This course is suitable for both beginners and experts. You will learn everything from the basics, such as finding soil, how to compose a mix, and applying that mix, and then the more advanced practices, such as water-resistant lime tadelakt. You will leave with a confidence and understanding of how to coat walls in your own home with beautiful, creative earth finishes.
Sign up for our mailing list to get notified when registrations open.
- Dates: This course begins with orientation and dinner Thursday evening and ends Tuesday 5pm, with a dinner and breakfast following morning provided.
- Meals: are included in the workshop price.
- Accommodations: Camping and bunkroom beds are available and included in the worshop. We have a few private rooms available for an extra cost.
Read more on our General Workshop Info.
- Arrival previous evening, April 11, dinner included at 7pm, introductions at 8pm,
- 12 April – Learning Base Coat and Levelling
- Clay and Lime overview and theory
- How to use Hawk & Trowel
- Practice applying and levelling
- Laying floor base
- Lime basecoat
- Finish clay layer
- Second floor layer
- Canelo Site tour
- Clay polish
- Clay paint
- Oil floor
- Finish Tadelakt
- Explore other mixes
- Workshop finishes 5pm with dinner and breakfast following morning provided.