Natural Plasters & Earthen Floors
2024 Canelo Workshop
and Earthen Floors
"Space is the breath of art"
— Frank Lloyd Wright
Natural Plasters with Clay & Lime Finishes
This workshop is full with a waiting list.
A 5-day workshop teaching Natural Plasters and Finishes including polished clay, water-resistant Tadelakt and Earthen Floors.
It will cover the essentials of natural and earthen plasters and dive deeper into the more specific finishes for your home. Each participant will have their own practice panel to learn these methods with ease and repetition.
This workshop will cover a large range of natural wall and floor finishes including:
- Simple clay & lime basecoats
- Various smoothed and polished clay finishes
- Tadelakt – a water-resistant lime plaster from Morrocco
- Lime fresco
- Earthen floors practice, from floor base to finish
This course is suitable for both beginners and experts. You will learn everything from the basics, such as finding soil, how to compose a mix, and applying that mix, and then the more advanced practices, such as water-resistant lime tadelakt. You will leave with a confidence and understanding of how to coat walls in your own home with beautiful, creative earth finishes.
- Dates: This course begins with orientation and dinner Saturday evening 6pm, April 13, and ends Thursday, April 18, at 5pm. Dinner that evening and breakfast the following morning will be provided.
- Meals: All meals are included in the workshop price.
- Accommodations: Camping and bunkroom beds are available and included in the worshop. We have a few private rooms available for an extra cost.
- Deposit – A $400 deposit is required to register for this workshop
Read more as you register on our General Workshop Info.
- Arrival previous evening, dinner included at 7pm, introductions at 8pm,
- Learning Base Coat and Levelling
- Clay and Lime overview and theory
- How to use Hawk & Trowel
- Practice applying and levelling
- Laying floor base
- Lime basecoat
- Finish clay layer
- Second floor layer
- Canelo Site tour
- Clay polish
- Clay paint
- Oil floor
- Finish Tadelakt
- Explore other mixes
- Workshop finishes 5pm with dinner and breakfast following morning provided.