Timber Framing: Building Without Nails
Timber Framing Workshop: Building Without Nails
Please note – we have changed the original dates for this workshop to March 25-31. Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.
A 6-day introduction to timber framing at the Canelo Project. Come and join us build and raise a traditional timber frame structure on the property.
You will learn the art of laying out a timber frame structure, cutting mortise and tenons both by hand and power tools, plus a peek into lumber selection and milling. You will gain a good understanding of tools and how to maintain them. We will also show you many examples of natural building and finishes here on the property.
No timberframing experience required: This course is accessible from beginners with little experience, to builders who want to learn the craft of timber framing.
During this workshop, we will be building a small storage shed building and is a great example of a beginner project.
- Dates: This course begins with orientation and dinner Monday evening 6pm, March 25, and ends Sunday, March 31, at 5pm. Dinner that evening and breakfast the following morning will be provided.
- Meals: All meals are included in the workshop price.
- Accommodations: Camping and bunkroom beds are available and included in the worshop. We have a few private rooms available for an extra cost.
- Deposit – A $400 deposit is required to register for this workshop
Read more as you register on our General Workshop Info
Daily Workshop Schedule
- Arrival previous evening, dinner included at 7pm, introductions 8pm
- Day 1 – Introduction to timber framing
- How to layout timbers
- Joinery introduction
- Intro to tools
- Sharpening tools
- Intro to cutting tenons
- Start layout & cutting tenons
- Intro to cutting mortises
- Cutting mortises & tenons
- Making a knee brace intro
- Make knee braces and continue posts
- Blacksmithing demo
- Continue knee braces & posts
- Canelo Tour
- Milling demo
- Frame raising day!